This consultation asks for your views on HMICFRS’s proposed policing inspection programme for 2020 to 2021, and whether you think we cover the right themes and areas of policing. It seeks your views on changes to the PEEL inspection programme.
In particular, we are seeking responses to the following questions:
- Do the proposed thematic inspections – of child protection; investigating and prosecuting rape cases; the multi-agency response to suspects and offenders who have mental ill health; serious youth violence; and how well policing responds to two threat areas within the Strategic Policing Requirement, namely serious organised crime (SOC), specifically through the activity of Regional Organised Crime Units, and public order cover areas that are of most concern to you at the moment?
- Are there any significant new or emerging problems in policing that HMICFRS should take into account in our inspection activity?
- How else could HMICFRS adapt the way in which we acquire information, to take account of current circumstances and risks to public safety?
This year, we are also consulting on changes to the PEEL inspection programme, and we welcome your views on these further questions:
- What do you think of the proposed approach to assessing police forces in PEEL 2020 to 2021? How could this be improved?
- Does the draft inspection methodology include the right inspection areas to gather evidence for a rounded assessment of police forces? How could this be improved?
- Do you agree with the proposal to make judgements based on the characteristics of ‘Good’, causes of concern and areas for improvement?
- Do you agree with the proposal to provide judgements at the core question level only?
- Which of our proposals, four or five tiers of judgements, do you think will most promote improvements in policing?
- Do you have any comments on our proposed approach to inspecting partnership and collaboration arrangements?
See the full report here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/870915/hmicfrs-inspection-programme-consultation-2020-21.pdf